[Standards] Summit MIX Decsions

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Feb 8 15:16:00 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:32 AM, Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com> wrote:
> 9.  It is agreed that MIX Channels will be represented in the roster.
>

> 10.  It is  intended to mark MIX clients in the roster with a server
> generated annotation, so that MIX clients can clearly show MIX channels
> without needing to do discos.  These clients will be marked offline, so
> should not be unduly obtrusive to non-MIX clients.

There was some discussion in the MUC recently about how roster
requests are actually IQs and theoretically other entities besides the
server could maintain a roster (which you could request from them by
sending an IQ exactly like you would to the server for your main
roster). I hadn't considered this when we were discussing it at the
summit, but maybe it makes sense for the MIX service to maintain its
own roster of MIX channels / proxy JIDs? The users client would
request it from the MIX service and could show it separately or merge
it as needed. Clients that don't support MIX obviously would not
request this roster from the MIX server.

At first glance this feels cleaner to me than having the MIX service
modify the users main roster, but I'm sure that I haven't thought it
all the way through and there are consequences to this approach too?

—Sam