[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Extensible In-Band Registration

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Mon Feb 13 16:19:09 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Goffi <goffi at goffi.org> wrote:
> I was thinking about a human challenge (question specific to user), which need
> manual intervention, while proof of work can be fully automated (but expensive
> for spammers).

Ah, I see; yes, one of the benefits of this system over the current
IBR system is that multiple different types of challenges can be
issued during a registration flow. So a server might present a POW
function, then it might present a login form where the user enters
their desired username and an email, then it might send an email with
a unique code and present another form where they have to enter that
code.

Or they could do some other combintaion; this would all be a matter of
server preference.

—Sam