[Standards] Improving Usability of XMPP Clients from the Bottom - Usability Considerations

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:36:35 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

> There is an argument that such recommendations might be included
> within the body of the text, but I think if pulled out, or at least
> summarized within a section, then developers who (sensibly) have used
> an existing library will be able to easily read the section for useful
> advice, without being bogged down with the minutiae of implementation.

Well. I imagine there was a reason the IETF thought that "Security
Considerations" deserve a dedicated section compared to just describing
that inline in the other sections.

> I would argue, though, that any use of RFC 2119 language in such a
> section would be a bad idea. Trying to tie "conformance" into
> usability considerations would leave us with some very odd cases.

True. I'm at odds here with the right solution. The current situation is
that every developer is supposed to think themselves about how to provide
the best UX for their users, and what interoperability consequences their
UX decisions have. While this certainly could work, it currently doesn't,
and results in a lot of redundant UX research for each developer.

Ideally I'd like to move to a situation where developers can find helpful
in the XEP, if the author and/or the community came to a useful conclusion
on a good UX related to the XEP at hand.

Tobi