[Standards] Obsoleting vCard-Based Avatars

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Sun Jan 8 14:59:04 UTC 2017

Hi all,

XEP-0053: vCard-Based Avatars [1] is a historical specification that
has been superseded by XEP-0084: User Avatars [2] for quite some time.
However, since it's historical it still shows up in the list on
xmpp.org and this seems like a possible source of confusion to me.

I'd like to propose that we move 0053 to "Obsolete" officially. We
could also mention in 0084 that it may be a good idea to implement it
in a read-only fashion (as Conversations does) for backwards
compatibility, but that new full implementations aren't recommended.

Thoughts?

—Sam

[1]: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0153.html
[2]: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0084.html