[Standards] Phone number-based contact lookup

Tobias M tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 7 11:27:43 UTC 2017

> On 7. Jul 2017, at 13:20, Ivan Vučica <ivan at vucica.net> wrote:
>
> Has there been any discussions on how would, hypothetically, XSF standardize lookup of contacts based on phone numbers?
>
> Context would be a hypothetical "modern-style" mobile IM client that bases everything around phone numbers.
>
> I have some vague thoughts about it, and no real ideas how to solve messaging and presence federation without centralizing contact lookup, but I am curious to hear whether I missed any standardization work.

There hasn’t been any standardisation work yet. It’s a tricky problem to solve in a federated system, especially if you aim for high privacy and security standards.

You probably want some phone number verification before entering entries in the lookup database. Then you also want to hash + salt the entries and the request so that the lookup server doesn’t gain your roster, etc. etc.

Cheers,
Tobi