[Standards] 0012, last activity - case of user connected but unavailable

Bartłomiej Górny bartlomiej.gorny at erlang-solutions.com
Thu Jun 7 16:05:54 UTC 2018

Hello

I'm reading XEP-0012 and wondering about the right ways to handle the
case of a user who has an open connection, but has sent an "unavailable"
presence. According to the XEP, the server should send "0", since the
user "has at least one connected or available resource", and this is how
it is implemented in MongooseIM.

My question is, why it is done like that? Another approach (this is
actually a question I was recently asked) would be that a user with
"unavailable" presence is, well, unavailable, as if disconnected, then
last activity could be handled the same way as for a disconnected user.
Since it is not, then I presume there was a reason for it.

BTW, am I right in thinking that an "available" resource must be
"connected"? If yes, then the "or available" clause would be reduntant,
wouldn't it?

Bartek

--
Imperium jest jak wspaniały statek pod pełnymi żaglami; majestatycznie
sunie naprzód, potem wpada na skały i tonie na zawsze. Demokracja jest

(podobno jakiś brytyjczyk)