[Standards] XMPP Council Minutes 2018-06-20

Tedd Sterr teddsterr at outlook.com
Wed Jun 27 12:32:56 UTC 2018

I think being informed of the server's retention policy is definitely useful; the server already returns a 'max-file-size' as part of its disco reply, so it should be simple to include a 'file-expires-time' value indication the number of seconds before which the file is automatically deleted.

As for uploaders requesting deletion, there are concerns with anonymity, as this would require tracking who uploaded what in order to keep anyone else from deleting the given file. I think a straightforward solution to that would be for the server to reply with a '<del url="......">' in addition to the get and put for the slot. That way, anybody with the deletion link (generally, the original uploader) may delete the file anonymously. This does have the limitation of only being able to delete a file using the device from which it was uploaded, though I don't think that should be a huge issue, and could be worked around through MAM or Carbons.