[Standards] MIX: The Nick Name Problem (TM) aka The Identity Crisis (TM)

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Thu Nov 29 20:41:23 UTC 2018

Hi Steve,

Am Do., 29. Nov. 2018 um 20:22 Uhr schrieb Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com>:
> First, the Avatar for a MIX channel is an associated with the channel, not
> with individual participants.  So an XSF MIX channel might have an XMPP logo
> as the avatar.  This would be very stable.

I was talking about user avatars or more broadly getting
updates/subscriptions from the PEP nodes of participants of a channel.
The background for that being, if I can’t use the MIX-nick for the
reasons described above I need to learn their nick by other means.
One of those means could be the PEP nodes for those people.

So my suggesting was to build some kind of PEP auto subscribe for all
participants I know across all channels into my MIX PAM.

However I came to the realization that this might somewhat overlap
with XEP-0376 PAM.

cheers
Daniel