[Standards] XEP-0059 RSM Before, after, index combinations

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Aug 2 08:26:16 UTC 2019

* Guus der Kinderen <guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com> [2019-08-02 10:05]:
> As far as I can tell, XEP-0059: Result Set Management does not clearly
> state how requests that include a combination of the before, after and
> index elements should be handled.
>
> It does not appear to make much sense to allow for this.

Client developers occasionally ask for being able to combine <before/>
and <after/> in MAM requests, as this would help with filling gaps in
the local history.  But I agree this is quite obviously not supported by
XEP-0059.  You page through the result set by turning either to the next
or to the previous page, you can't do both at once.  Supporting a
different model would require more changes to the XEP, I think.

> In any case, I'd like to see the XEP updated to be more explicit.

Agreed.  The text should make a clear statement, and I guess the schema
should be updated as well.

Holger