[Standards] Council Voting Summary 2019-08-18

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Aug 20 23:06:07 UTC 2019

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 16:58, Jonas Schäfer <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:

> On Dienstag, 20. August 2019 10:34:22 CEST Dave Cridland wrote:
> > > *PR #808 - XEP-0045: Add Tags configuration and metadata* -
> > > https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/808
> > > Dave: [pending]
> > > Georg: [on-list]
> > > Jonas: +1
> > > Kev: [pending]
> > > Link: [on-list]
> >
> > I think I'm -1 on this. I don't think that having tags is a bad idea, in
> > and of itself, but I'm concerned with adding more stuff to XEP-0045.
> >
> > In general, I think that tagging in this "dumb" way is probably never
> going
> > to be enough, and a more considered approach might be better.
> >
> > For what it's worth, I'm open to having my mind changed on this.
>
> As someone in favour of this, what do you consider "dumb" about this?

Dumb as in the tags are simply "there", and therefore only of use to an
external search engine, really.

So things you can't do are filter by tag on a disco#items search, say, or
assign some internal meaning to specific tags for state management or
workflow or something.

Put another way, I'm not sure this gives anything to build upon - it's just
a field of strings, and there's no indication of semantics or intended use
here. I can implement it easily enough from the spec, but I have no idea
how to use it beyond "put some strings here".

Quite a lot of '45 is like this already, and I'd rather not make things
worse.