[Standards] XEP-0163: Notify after directed presence

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Aug 28 09:04:56 UTC 2019

Hi,

I can't remember who, but someone kept on pointing out this issue with PEP
for various cases.

Loosely, PEP only really works in the case where we have a mutual
subscription - so much so that some clients go out of their way to try an
enforce mutual subscriptions.

It would be nice to fix PEP so it works for one-way subscriptions and
ad-hoc contacts. I don't think key distribution should operate over PEP,
but that's somewhat irrelevant to this discussion.

Dave.