[Standards] XEP-0163: Notify after directed presence

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Aug 28 10:06:12 UTC 2019

On 28.08.19 10:23, Daniel Gultsch wrote:
> Am Mo., 26. Aug. 2019 um 15:30 Uhr schrieb Maxime Buquet <pep at bouah.net>:
>>
>> On 2019/08/26, Holger Weiß wrote:
>>> * Maxime Buquet <pep at bouah.net> [2019-08-24 20:26]:

>>> What about explicitly subscribing to the devicelist node (assuming the
>>> node's access_model allows you to)?
>>
>> That should be doable indeed, but then I'm not sure when to unsuscribe,
>> (which I would very much like to do at some point I think.)
>>
>> Unless I still get directed presences, then it would probably be ok?
>
> Yes when to unsubscribe is the big question here. Furthermore without
> something like PAM I might even forget that I'm subscribed.

Assuming that there is an answer to the big question when to
unsubscribe: Forgetting about being subscribed does not appear to be an
big issue. You could either check if you need to unsubscribe when once
decided to unsubscribe. Or unsubscribe once you receive a notify from a
node you do not want to be subscribed to.

I don't think that PAM buys us much in this situation.

- Florian