[Standards] Byte count of XEP-0084: User Avatar image data

Paul Schaub vanitasvitae at fsfe.org
Wed Aug 28 15:20:36 UTC 2019

Hi Standardists!

I noticed, that XEP-0084 was update in version 1.1.2 to allow image
"height"s and "width"s up to 65536 (previously 256). While I agree, that
this is a sensible up to date range for width and height, I think that
the range of the size attribute (bytes) would need to be updated as well.

As of today, the XML Schema for the metadata namespace states the
datatype of bytes to be unsigned short, which is at maximum 65536. 65536
bytes will probably quickly be exhausted for images bigger than 256x256).

Interestingly, example 10 in the XEP already features an <info/> with a
bytes value of 78912, which exceeds the limits of unsignedShort.

I'd propose to bump the datatype of bytes up to unsignedInteger, which
should be sufficient for now.

Do you think this would require a namespace bump?

Related PR: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/812

Happy Hacking!
Paul