[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Character counting in message bodies

Guus der Kinderen guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 11:51:11 UTC 2019

This XEP might want to add an implementation note that relates to
https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0245.html. When XEP-0245 is used, clients
often use a different representation of the message from what's in the body
(eg: replacing "/me" with a nickname). This makes it very easy to make
mistakes in calculating a character-count based offset (eg: to identify the
position of a mention), as a nickname is likely to have a different
character count than the three in "/me". It's kind of a silly problem, but
easy enough to make. Protecting against it by adding it to this XEP can
help.