[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Special Interests Group End to End Encryption

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Dec 30 15:19:55 UTC 2019

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 at 14:35, Jonas Schäfer <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:

> Title: Special Interests Group End to End Encryption
> Abstract:
> This document proposes the formation of a Special Interest Group (SIG)
> within the XSF devoted to the development of end-to-end encryption
> within the context of XMPP.

This XEP proposes:

a) That this SIG represent the XMPP community externally, and also
b) That this SIG is open to anyone including those not elected as members
of the XSF.

I would suggest to the Board that:

* These two proposals in combination have a risk, in as much as
representation of the XSF ought to be under the control of the Board. The
proposal refers to the XMPP Community rather than the XSF of course, but I
don't think that's sufficient to mitigate the risk.
* This risk can be mitigated however by simply asking the Board to appoint
any such representative who can act as a liaison between the SIG and any
given external party. The Board is free to choose a non-member, though my
preference would be that any liaison is a member of the XSF. I would
encourage the SIG members to be proactive in identifying the needed
liaisons.

In general, however, I think this proposal formalizes something that has
been occuring anyway, and it would be nice to give it a little structure.

Dave.