[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Fallback Indication

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Dec 30 17:58:02 UTC 2019

Please note Section 2.3 in this document.

Having some clear and consistent mechanism for indicating that, when
heuristically deciding if a message is an "Instant Message", systems should
ignore the <subject/> and <body/> would eliminate my arguments against
using <body/> enthusiastically for fallback purposes. So *something* like
this is needed unless you're all happy for me to veto everything that says
to insert a fallback. Muahahaha, etc, but no, really.

I would genuinely like to resurrect XEP-0334 for this - if there is
interest there I have some suggestions for reworking it to be a little more
comfortably extensible which, I think, was Sam's main objection
alongside wanting to keep capabilities like no-copy inside the
specifications which needed it. The latter argument is weaker for
everything other than no-copy, and indeed I think in cases such as fallback
it's literally counter to the point.

So... If Council wants to reject this in favour of
improving/tidying/accepting hints, I'm absolutely fine with that - but I
could use a little more input there on what that would look like.

Dave.