[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: User-defined Data Transfer

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Tue Dec 31 07:01:34 UTC 2019

31 Dec 2019 2:41:31 am Marvin W :

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to express my concern that the purpose of this proposed XEP is
> mostly around defining a specific API to library developers. According
> to XEP-0001, a Standards Track XEP defines a *wire protocol* intended to
> be used as a standard part of XMPP technologies. Nothing indicates that
> a XEP shall define library APIs.

That makes sense to some extent. The proposal should be slightly reworded to make it clear that the wire protocol exists and is designed around an API, but that the API itself is not part of the standard (lower-casing the SHOULD in section 3 would be a start).

I do not see anything wrong per se with XEPs built for a very specific API. We have that already with the XML-RPC embedding (which went somewhat out of fashion).

Maybe it would also be worth to move the API description into its own Informational XEP (like we did for XEP-0300) or an XSF external document. This would also allow to evolve the API independently of the wire protocol.

kind regards,
Jonas