[Standards] XEP-0368: What does a . for a target mean in _xmpps-client/server records?

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Mon Jul 1 14:10:04 UTC 2019

Am 01.07.19 um 10:08 schrieb Dave Cridland:
[...]
>> Do you know which server implementations currently support both TLS and
>> non-TLS (with STARTLS) on the same port?
>

> I have a vague recollection that Fippo mentioned this trick years ago -
> perhaps Psyc, perhaps even the original Jabberd?

psyced supports that, as well as good old jabberd14.

> Servers can do this by trying a (non-destructive) XML parse on the data,
> and if that fails (with any error other than EOF), try interpreting it as a
> TLS ClientHello handshake message. I think you could probably make some
> heuristic based on the first character, too, and I think that's what Fippo
> mentioned.

the heuristic works the other way round. You peek the first byte (i.e.
call recv with MSG_PEEK) .

0x16 means a TLSv1 record (and I think newer versions too), 0x80 or 0x00
indicate the evil SSLv2 (skip this), 0x3c ('<') is actually xml you can
feed into your xml parser. You can also demultiplex this on port 80 or
443 and run your web server along with your xmpp server.

> If I say "Fippo" a third time, I think it summons him and he might
> comment...

it does :-)