[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Anonymous unique occupant identifiers for MUCs

Ненахов Андрей andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru
Tue Jul 16 20:35:12 UTC 2019

If owners can't see JIDs it does not mean rooms are 'fully anonymous'.
Server admins would still be able to know who is who. So such feature would
only give an illusion of true anonymity, while hindering admin tasks. For
example, when blocking a spammer, you still want to know from what
server he joined the chat, so you can block all his server.

ср, 17 июл. 2019 г. в 01:23, Mathieu Pasquet <mathieui at mathieui.net>:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 03:57:12PM -0000, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> > The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
> >
> > Title: Anonymous unique occupant identifiers for MUCs
> > Abstract:
> > This specification defines a method that allows clients to identify a
> > MUC participant across reconnects and renames. It thus prevents
> > impersonification of anonymous users.

> > The Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
> > proposal as an official XEP.
>
> Hi,
>
> Having already taken a look at this during the sprint, I must say this
> is an elegant solution that provides an answer to a few long-standing
> issues of groupchats:
>
> - It can be used to provide fully anonymous chatrooms (as in: even
>   owners cannot see JIDs, but does not hinder moderation and other admin
>   tasks)
> - It greatly simplifies the state tracking of user identity for things
>   such as message corrections (and now, reactions) in semi-anonymous
>   chatrooms
>
> If this gets enough traction, I hope we can have this occupant-id
> accepted in other places such as setting affiliations an so on.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Mathieu “mathieui” Pasquet

Andrew Nenakhov