[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Reactions

Ненахов Андрей andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru
Tue Jul 23 11:06:21 UTC 2019

What we think of reactions:
 - definitely a wanted feature by now
 - a client must be capable to fetch all reactions from message archive
when retrieving a message
 - there must be a mechanics to pull missed reactions for already retrieved
messages. For example, a client has received a message, went offline,
people reacted to that message, client went online
 - multiple reactions of one user per one message is definitely a
possibility. It's already an established pattern of using reactions in
other services
 - deleting reactions by message author and by reaction authors  (all or
one by one) is likely a must
 - reactions are definitely NOT part of a message, so references are a no go

All in all, we think that reactions should be an extension to a message
archive, returning all message reactions when retrieving a message, with a
version-like mechanics for a conversation, so every time a reaction happens
in a chat, its version changes and it signals a client that a change has
occurred and that a client should update its data. We'll probably try to do
this in the future as a part of our client synchronization protoXEP that
already does similar things for message edits and retractions. However, so
far we do not have a fully clear picture on this subject.

Also, questions:
 - how limited is the reactions set? Any unicode symbol?
 - how limited is the reaction? One symbol (emoji)? How about

--
Andrew Nenakhov
CEO, redsolution, OÜ