[Standards] Whitespace "ping"

Mickaël Rémond mremond at process-one.net
Tue Jun 11 09:49:07 UTC 2019

Hello,

The RFC 6120 mentions whitespace ping to keep the connection alive and help the server detects that the client is gone.
I also see that there was some attempt to bring consistency in the way server handles this in XEP-0304: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0304.html <https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0304.html>
It is rather old and today has also probably a bit of overlap with XEP-0198 Stream Management, and possibly also with XEP-0199 XMPP ping.
I guess many client use the XEP-0198 acks, but still, XEP-0198 recommends the use of TCP level whitespace keepalive.
Having a way to check connection from client without generating load on parsers and limiting bandwidth used is important, so whitespace keepalive are goods.

What do you think of pushing forward a way to make whitespace ping behaviour more standard?
What we need basically is a way to negotiate the interval with server, so that client can be considered disconnected when that whitespace trafic is not receive in time.

I am not really fond of making this a new stream feature, like XEP-0304 suggest, as maybe what would make more sense is to define that feature in Stream management XEP itself (and thus could be part of the stream management negotiation)

What do you think ?

--
Mickaël Rémond