[Standards] Whitespace "ping"

Marcel Waldvogel marcel.waldvogel at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Jun 11 12:59:32 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 14:23 +0200, Mickaël Rémond wrote:
> Hello Guus,
>
> > On 11 Jun 2019, at 14:00, Guus der Kinderen <
> > guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What we need basically is a way to negotiate the interval with
> > > server
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is _needed_? Without this being a requirement,
> > much of the complexity of "making this more standard" falls away.
>
> Well, I think if the server does not have to approve the value,
> client could expect to set it to something extreme (like 1s) or
> useless (like 1 days). The server could thus reply with a different
> value. And still the server needs to know at which rate the client is
> expected to send the keep alive.
> But, yes, it is always possible to do something like that in a non
> standard way. My point was trying to agree on something to make life
> of client developers easier :)

The nice thing about TCP keepalives or IQ pings is that there is no
need to negotiate: Once any of the sides thinks it is time to probe the
other, it will send out the probe. This will cause the remote idle
timer to be reset. So naturally, the minimum is chosen and it works
even if only one side supports the feature.

BTW: Per-socket TCP keepalive parameters are supported in Linux since
2.4, i.e., the beginning of this millenium. (Please note that most
systems expect the keepalive interval in seconds, but Solaris considers
them as milliseconds. We have been bitten very badly by this several
years ago…)

-Marcel