[Standards] Inbox and Other Stories

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Mon Jun 17 16:09:05 UTC 2019

On 29.05.19 13:09, Dave Cridland wrote:
> You'll note I'm not building this directly on PubSub in the XEP-0060 (or
> XEP-0163) sense - instead I'm proposing building this on the existing
> Roster and MAM.

"Shove it into the roster" appears to be the new "shove it into the
presence". A few years back, everything was put into the presence:
- The tune the user is listening to
- The game the user is currently playing
- …

This was highly inefficient and a scalability nightmare.

I fear we will run into the same issues when we put additional stuff
into the roster.

The solution back then was PEP, which is based on PubSub. Why would you
want to build a publish-subscribe mechanism not on XEP-0060 PubSub?

What about entries which are not in the roster? What about entities
which are not interested in the additional roster metadata?

- Florian