[Standards] Solving the not staying connected in a MUC problem

Mickaël Rémond mremond at process-one.net
Thu Jun 20 07:30:38 UTC 2019

Hello,

In ejabberd we are somewhat doing the reverse. We notify the users in the room when the service is shutting down to let them know they are no longer in the room.

The rationale is that we do not know when the server will be back up, and that the state may be incorrect for quite some time.
This also makes sense in the case of ejabberd as the upgrade of some components can be made without restarting the server. Many deployments are also in cluster, so shutting down a node will have part of the chat rooms migrated on the remaining nodes.

That said we miss a way to notify the users that the service is back up and that they could join again. Having a standard way to do this would be handy.

Cheers,

--
Mickaël Rémond