[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Stanza Content Encryption

Maxime Buquet pep at bouah.net
Mon Jun 24 21:38:40 UTC 2019

On 2019/06/24, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 at 20:11, Paul Schaub <vanitasvitae at fsfe.org> wrote:
> > Am 24.06.19 um 19:04 schrieb Ненахов Андрей:
> > > So much for deniability.
> >
> > Yeah, I'd rather keep it flexible and let the encryption XEP which
> > defines a SCE profile decide, which fields to use and not to use. OX for
> > instance should probably use the "full stack" of affix elements, while
> > OTR would stay away from most of them (except maybe timestamp).
> >
> I would rather everything used the same.

I think the point of this XEP is to enforce only meaning of elements it
provides for other XEPs to use.

As Paul said, I also think profiles of this XEP (other XEPs reusing SCE)
should define how these elements are used. Somebody might come up with
an encryption mechanism that doesn't fit our model of REQUIRED elements.

--
Maxime “pep” Buquet