[Standards] Council Minutes 2019-06-26

Ненахов Андрей andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru
Wed Jun 26 19:39:07 UTC 2019

https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0353.html
> Link: +1
> Jonas: +1
> Georg: +1
> Kev: [pending]
> Dave: +1

Actually, I'd suggest postponing 0353 just a bit. In its current form 0353
turned out to be absolutely not capable to work with clients that rely on
push notifications and message archive.

When all clients are online and receive proposal to establish a session,
it's all fine. But if one of the clients is actually offline (any iOS
device 99% of the time), it all starts working very unreliable: fetching
messages from an archive is not an instant process. When client fetches
this message after push notification, it does not know if this session
proposal still active (or if the call was picked up by a different client).
We couldn't make 353 work good on iOS no matter how hard we tried. The only
acceptable solution that we did manage to work good was to add additional
loopback, when a callee asks caller if this session is still available.
Session sequence looks like this:

[image: mscgenjs_chart.png]

I suggest that 353 should be amended with this additional loopback, because
otherwise it just wouldn't work with iOS (and with android clients that
rely on push notifications, too)

Message format that we use and more diagrams for different usecases are is
in this GoogleDoc, it's currently open for comments:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1geR2-VlKkjwqFftstV7O1cYfGqKQy-eEUepgRrge0ow/edit