[Standards] MIX-PAM: private PEP node for joined channels

Linus Jahn lnj at kaidan.im
Sat Nov 16 17:45:12 UTC 2019

Hello,

I'm currently working on XEP-0405 / MIX-PAM. I'm replacing the roster
mechanism by a private PEP node. The basics are working now, but I'm
not sure what's the best way to make presence sharing with the channel
configurable.

The roster mechanism allowed the client to disable presence sharing with
the channel by setting subscription=none. How do you think it's best to
do this with the PEP node?

The PEP node could be made editable to the user (similar to the roster
entry before). Then a custom rule for the server to only allow the
'share-presence' attribute to be modified would be needed.

The other option I can think of is adding an IQ command to enable or
disable presence sharing. Executing it would then trigger PEP
notifications to be sent to the user.

I think in both options this should already be configurable in the
<client-join/> request, so a client does not need to send two requests
when joining a channel with disabled presence sharing.

Best regards,
Linus