[Standards] Bookmarks 2 extensibility

Emmanuel Gil Peyrot linkmauve at linkmauve.fr
Sun Nov 24 09:11:06 UTC 2019

Hello standards@,

One of the issues with 0048 bookmarks was that any extension to a
bookmark was possibly removed by another client which didn’t know what
to do with it.

I’d like to achieve something better for bookmarks 2, so that clients
can attach private or shared extensions and compatible clients can read
them, while non-compatible clients would ignore them.

Some examples I’ve seen in the wild include Gajim serialising the room’s
state (whether it’s minimised in the roster), some clients storing tags
or a hierarchical structure for easier searching.  All of those are
usecases that hadn’t been thought about for the first bookmarks version,
and that’s fine as long as we can extend it.

I’m suggesting adding a <{bookmarks:0}extensions/> element inside the
<{bookmarks:0}conference/>, where clients and servers alike MUST
preserve the content if they don’t understand it.  Any downside to this
approach?

Thanks,

--
Emmanuel Gil Peyrot