[Standards] XEP-0060: max-items (publish-options et al) council action required

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Sun Oct 6 12:11:45 UTC 2019

On Sonntag, 6. Oktober 2019 12:51:16 CEST Daniel Gultsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as you might have heard we have implemented Bookmarks 2 during the
> last XMPP Developers Sprint in a couple of clients and libraries.
>
> Our feedback for Bookmarks 2 itself is expressed in this PR:
> https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/835
>
> However there is one issue Boomarks 2 can’t solve by itself and
> instead needs to be addressed in XEP-0060.
>
> When publishing bookmarks we need to overwrite the default max_items
> for a node. Otherwise the vast majority of PEP implementations will
> default that to 1.
>
> However there is no max_items that means unlimited (and/or use what
> ever limit the server deems fit.)
>
> Therefor I propose wording for XEP60 that 'clarifies' that max-items 0
> means unlimited.

I think a value of 0 might have other uses and we should use -1 instead. But
that’s bikeshed.

I think this makes a lot of sense. Can you provide a PR so that we can discuss
the concrete proposal in the next meeting?

I think this would require a disco#info feature though, for clients to rely
on.

(On a related note: we (Editor and iteam) are still in progress of recovering
the ability to work with the Registry. So I hope we can glance over the issue
that we don’t want to continuously update XEP-00{45,60} with new features we
need and instead make proper use of the registries for that one last time.)

kind regards,
Jonas