[Standards] Support for stickers (custom emojis)

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Thu Oct 17 11:23:18 UTC 2019

Hi,

Regarding your proposal:
- You should still add a hash in the reference somehow so that clients
*can* cache entries (even if you won't do it in Converse)
- I already dislike the fact that we do HTTP requests to arbitrary
servers for file transfers, as we might be leaking IP addresses in such
cases. In the case of Converse, you are likely to get into GDPR issues
when doing so without explicit user consent (and you don't want explicit
user consent for every emoji). There is a reason why many e-Mail-Clients
don't render remote content in e-Mails...
- When this is combined with body-only e2e-encryption, you are leaking
information as I guess you don't envision the emoji to be encrypted for
each e2e session individually.

You can probably solve the second issue mentioned above and the issue
with http files by proxying the image request through the server hosting
Converse (which is what other popular sites that allow arbitrary http
links like GitHub do). But I guess you don't want to do that.

Regarding your issues with using BOB:
- BOB does not depend on XHTML-IM. 0231 §2.2 specifically says that "any
appropriate format can be used" to share the CID. This means it is also
possible to use it in 0372 references (as you suggest to do just without
http).
- BOB does not require the sender to provide the file referenced by the
CID 0231 §2.1 says that you can send the IQ to request the bytes to
"potentially some other entity". If you don't expect the sending client
to provide the file, it doesn't need to cache all stickers and it
doesn't need to be online.

Marvin