[Standards] Message Retractions

Maxime Buquet pep at bouah.net
Wed Sep 4 10:16:56 UTC 2019

On 2019/09/04, JC Brand wrote:
> I just read the latest Council minutes (thanks Ted Sterr!)
> and noticed that message retractions came up.
>
> https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2019-September/036391.html
>
> > Link notes that multiple people have noticed previous Councils appear to
> > have forgotten about Message Retraction [3] and, like Reactions, it's
> > being held-up by the current 'message attachment' contention.
>
> I'm a bit out of the loop here, can someone please explain to me what the
> "message attachment" contention is in regards to message retractions?

There doesn't seem to be any tl;dr on this yet.

The idea is that Message Reactions[0] is currently being held hostage[1]
by council because there is no """proper""" solution for referencing a
message. I suggest you read the thread about reactions if you have time.

There was also a (quite long) discussion[2] on xsf@ recently about how
to tackle the problem.

Funnily enough you're not the only one to ask about Message Retractions
lately:
- https://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2019-06-26#2019-06-26-31c023899b7ed4f9
- https://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2019-08-26#2019-08-26-c043182b2d770bac

[0]: https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2019-July/036271.html