[Standards] SIMS issues

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Sat Sep 7 09:55:33 UTC 2019

Am Mi., 19. Juni 2019 um 19:07 Uhr schrieb Sergey Ilinykh <rion4ik at gmail.com>:

> Then yes the xep has to be updated with use-cases. Since for now only
> internal <reference> elements looks usable and it's hard to imagine any
> good UX for the top-level one.

To cover the use case Sergey is talking about here (stand alone voice
message, stand alone image, stand alone file) without any description
wouldn’t it make more sense to be able to put a sims as a direct child
of a message (and essentially the only child ( + origin-id, 184
request)?

I mean it is nice and all that it can _also_ be used within a
reference but i don’t understand the hard dependency (that the XEP in
it's current state implies) on references.

As I see it a lot of developers are currently in the market for a
replacement for the current usage of the x-oob tag and are not
necessarily looking for anything more complicated like references
(which involve having to implement an URI parser among other things)
Therefor I see a danger in essentially forcing those people to
implement half-assed references that are only an empty, mostly unused
reference wrapper around the sims element. This has the potential of
getting us into compatibility trouble if later we will actually use
references for something more than this.