[Standards] Council Voting Summary 2019-08-06

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Sep 11 16:13:43 UTC 2019

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 16:35, Marvin W <xmpp at larma.de> wrote:

> By specifically
> disallowing referencing of messages that reference other messages it
> obviously is not a general referencing.

I actually quite like this restriction - it means I can split IM traffic
into "Messages" and "Attachments". It also means it's unsuited to, say,
Slack-style threading (but then we have <thread/> if people actually want
to go that route).

But a smaller, more contained data model means that, in turn, I have the
ability to have an archive of messages, and for each message have the
reactions and other ancillary data that's needed.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced that message receipts, edits (and
retractions) need to either not apply to, or should be, fastenings, so
perhaps that simplifies the problem space sufficiently.

Dave.