[Standards] Persisting Message Errors (XEP-0280, XEP-0313, XEP-0160)

JC Brand lists at opkode.com
Wed Sep 18 20:39:21 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 01:08:49PM +0200, Georg Lukas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> error type stanzas are currently ephemeral, and not taken seriously by
> many (client) developers. As one step in increasing the (perceived)
> reliability of XMPP messaging, I'd like to make message errors
> persistent, so that users can better gauge which of their messages
> actually arrived at the recipient.

<snip>

+1 from me, thanks for bringing this up Georg.

The fact that error messages aren't stored in MAM is especially a problem for
thin clients.

A thin client (like webchat) can't be expected to keep long-term copies of
conversations and regularly needs to query MAM from scratch.

Messages that weren't actually delivered are being stored in MAM but their
accompanying errors aren't, so when you load the MAM history onto a clean
slate it looks as if those messages have been delivered.

Hopefully it's clear that this is terrible UX that can lead to confusion and
the impression that XMPP clients/servers can't reliably deliver messages.

JC