[Standards] Message Retractions

JC Brand lists at opkode.com
Tue Sep 24 16:26:15 UTC 2019

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 03:40:22PM +0200, Georg Lukas wrote:
> * JC Brand <lists at opkode.com> [2019-09-24 15:10]:
> > > Additionally in MUCs, one could send an IQ to the room so that the MUC
> > > itself broadcasts it to all participants of that room.
> > I don't like the idea of there being two ways of doing the same thing in a MUC.
>
> Those are not actually the same thing. One is you retracting your own
> message, the other one is a MUC moderator removing your message from the
> MUC history.

Are you implying that a message retracted by the author should not
be removed from MUC history?

I think in both cases it should be removed. If your own retracted message
doesn't get tombstoned, then there's fundamentally no difference to message
corrections and we don't need to cover the 1:1 case at all.

You could just consider an empty message correction as a retraction and update
the client UI accordingly.

> Having two separate mechanisms for that, with both ending up in a
> retraction message sent by an "authorized" JID (bare JID in 1:1, maybe
> MUC-JID or original-occupant-full-JID in MUC?) seems sane to me.

I was thinking that groupchat message authors would also send an IQ to retract
their messages, given that the room could be semi-anonymous and clients could
therefore not be able to figure out whether the person retracting the message
is actually the author.

We have XEP-0421 to deal with that though, so I guess it's fine to send a
message if you're the author and an IQ if you're a moderator.