[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: MUC presence versioning

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Wed Apr 1 06:48:16 UTC 2020

Am 31.03.20 um 20:35 schrieb Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor):

> Title: MUC presence versioning
> Abstract:
> This specification defines a versioning mechanism which reduces the
> amount of presence traffic in a XEP-0045 MUC

> The Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
> proposal as an official XEP.

While I understand that we all love disco, wouldn't it be easier to only
send the ver attribute if one was received from the muc in the past?
Or is that to avoid MUC rooms not understanding this feature
broadcasting it as part of the presence? (a MUC should also remove this
attribute before broadcasting since this would otherwise leak a tiny bit
of information about the last join)

Overall this seems like a quite useful reinterpretation of the original
MUC semantics.