[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0357 (Push Notifications)

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Tue Apr 7 10:38:13 UTC 2020

Hi,

> At the Summit, I've suggested to send all required data within Push
> notification,
> but for security reasons, encrypted by XMPP server initiating push
> notification.
> Here is a document which describes encryption process done by us at Tigase
> https://tigase.github.io/tigase-xeps/docs/push-notifications/encrypt/

A bit off-topic: Thanks for sharing this document. I think it's a good
start for a new XEP on top of XEP-0357.

However, can we please stop with JSON encoding in XML "because it's
smaller". That claim is not true i all cases (not even most) and also
not in your specific case:

{"type":"chat","sender":"juliet at capulet.example","unread":1,"message":"Wherefore
art thou, Romeo?"}

XML translations could actually save a few bytes:

<chat sender="juliet at capulet.example" unread="1" message="Wherefore art
thou, Romeo?"/>
<chat sender="juliet at capulet.example" unread="1">Wherefore art thou,
Romeo?</chat>