[Standards] [XEP-0114 / XEP-0225] What error to use when component unavailable?

Kim Alvefur zash at zash.se
Sat Apr 11 15:07:20 UTC 2020

Hi,

Some time ago I tried to join an IRC channel via a gateway, but the
client said that the room had too many users in it. Confused, I dug into
logs to see what was going on and it turned out that the gateway was
down and the XMPP server bounced any stanza sent to it with an error of
type=wait, service-unavailable. So, a generic "can't do that right now,
try again later". Makes sense.

Investigating further, I found this in XEP-0045:

https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#enter-maxusers

So, in MUC, wait/service-unavailable means "too many users". Why isn't
this using resource-constraint?

And what error should an XMPP server return if an external component is
disconnected? Neither XEP-0114 or 0225 seems to have anything to say
about this.

--
Kim "Zash" Alvefur