[Standards] XEP-0167: What happened with <rtcp-mux/>

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Mon Apr 13 11:21:44 UTC 2020

Hi,

webrtc uses rtcp-mux but to my knowledge XMPP has no way of signaling
that a party wants to use that.

Jitsi apparently just assumes that rtcp-mux is being used when bundles
are used [1] however that isn’t necessarily correct in all cases.

Philipp Hancke apparently wrote a patch for XEP-0167 that introduced
<rtcp-mux/> as an element in the description (based on what Google
did) in 2014 [2]. However apparently that didn’t get merged.

Anyone remember why? Was this just forgotten or was this replaced with
something else? Or deemed unnecessary for some reason?

If not I'd just create a new PR with that old patch.

cheers
Daniel

[1]: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-videobridge/blob/master/doc/bundle.md
[2]: https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/User:Fippo#mapping_a.3Drtcp-mux