[Standards] XEP-0313: pending 0.7 update review

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 13:10:58 UTC 2020

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 12:58, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:

> On 4/16/20 3:02 PM, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> > On 4/3/20 10:51 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:> The PRs are here:
> >>
> >> XEP-0313: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/922
> >>
> >> Feedback very welcome, but I hope we can get this wrapped up and
> >> advanced to Draft where it should be soon!
> >
> > I have two further minor remarks:
> >
> > I wondered if "fetching a single message" shouldn't be "fetching
> > messages by a list of archive IDs", where single message fetching is
> > just using a list of size one. If we ever specify "fetch-by-id-list",
> > then we would end up with two ways to retrieve a single message by id,
> > which feels odd to me.
>
> The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that we
> should simply specify (and register) a well known field for message IDs
> with type list-multi, instead of doing the proposed single message
> fetching.

Yes, this is clearly an alternative option that I considered a bit before
siding with the current approach. I see advantages in both.

Plain <iq/>:

  + Simpler
  + Doesn't depend on data forms
  + Result can be embedded directly in the result
   - Restricted to fetching a single message

For query parameter:

  + Reuses the query and results mechanism that almost all clients will
already have implemented
  + Support for fetching multiple messages
  -  May be more complicated for servers to implement in combination with
other query params
  - No known use cases for fetching a list of known ids?

I think it would also require less code change compare to stuffing
> <forwarded/> into <iq/>. At least for Smack I think this is likely the
> case.

Sorry, but in discussions like this I have to say that Smack always
surprises me at how hard it is to do relatively simple things :)

I don't feel strongly on this issue one way or the other. I'd be curious if
anyone else does, or especially for any concrete use cases for fetching
multiple ids at once.

Regards,
Matthew