[Standards] OMEMO 2 or MLS?
winfried at tilanus.com
Fri Feb 7 14:51:37 UTC 2020
At the danger to open a can of worms, I still would like have a
discussion on the following:
Given the progress Dave reported at the summit from the IETF MLS working
group, I think it has become a viable option to standardize MLS on XMPP
and implement MLS in stead of investing in OMEMO 2.
- MLS is not final / reviewed yet, so it is not stable and may still
have serious issues.
- MLS has recently seen a patent claim against it that is not yet
- MLS is done by / backed by the cryptographic community of the IETF, so
it avoids making the mistakes that you can easily make when doing crypto
yourself and any (early) MLS implementation can enjoy a lot of reviews
- We can expect input / contributions from the IETF community when
- MLS has the possibility of proxy-reencryption, creating a good
solution for multi-device situations and group chats.
Please tell what you think.
privacy strategist & privacy architect
More information about the Standards