[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0368: SRV records for XMPP over TLS

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Thu Feb 13 20:13:07 UTC 2020

On 2/11/20 5:29 PM, Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor) wrote:
> The XEP Editor would like to Call for Experience with XEP-0368 before
> presenting it to the Council for advancing it to Final status.
>
> You can review the specification here:
>
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0368.html
>
> Please send all feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list.

I am currently implementing direct TLS support in Smack. Since I decided
to make this a optional "transport module" in Smack, mixing the 'xmpp'
and 'xmpps' is not so trivial. I eventually decided to ignore this
requirement. Especially since I could not come up with a good reason for
it: If direct TLS is supported by the client and server, it appears to
be the thing a client wants to try first. Irregardless of the SRV
configuration.

- Florian