[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0198: Stream Management

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Feb 14 09:02:48 UTC 2020

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 20:14, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:

> On 2/11/20 4:21 PM, Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor) wrote:
> > The XEP Editor would like to Call for Experience with XEP-0198 before
> > presenting it to the Council for advancing it to Final status.
>
> With the advent of WebSockets and QUIC around the corner, we shouldn't
> miss the opportunity to allow stream resumption over different
> transports (TCP, BOSH, WebSocket, QUIC, …).

I think people do that already. I vaguely remember a conversation where I
suggested that '198 wasn't useful on BOSH, and got told that it was used
for BOSH->WebSocket transitioning (since apparently the startup is then
faster and more reliable).

> I am not sure if this is actually feedback for xep198, as "Stream
> Management for QUIC" could be simply another XEP. But maybe xep198 could
> at least mention that it is not strictly limited to RFC6120-like TCP
> transport bindings, while stream management for other transports are
> outside the scope of xep198 and instead specified in their own XEP?

Likewise with QUIC, I imagine.

I don't know what we'd need to do in terms of explicit support - the tricky
part seems to me to be resumption across a cluster, rather than resumption
between transports.

Dave.