[Standards] Offline Feature Negotiation and Device Lists

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 12:44:23 UTC 2020

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 12:14, Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu> wrote:

> On 17-02-2020 13:04, Matthew Wild wrote:
> > I really don't want to just design an account capabilities system
> > without some real concrete use-cases that demonstrate it's our best
> > option.
>
> Ok, concrete use case from my time at VEON: calling.

I almost included this case in my initial email, but I see it as
pretty much the same as the encryption one.

Just because I signed into my account once with a client that supports
receiving calls, doesn't mean I necessarily am available to receive
calls on my account.

As a personal example, I work from home most of the time, and my
primary XMPP communication is through my laptop. My phone is very
often in flight mode or flat on days when I don't leave the house. My
primary client is poezio running in tmux over ssh. It's not getting
Jingle A/V any time soon.

In my case I don't want people to think that they can just call me
over Jingle on my work-from-home days because I signed in with a
Jingle A/V client a few days ago.

Regards,
Matthew