[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Inbox

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Jan 22 11:43:19 UTC 2020

On 21.01.20 17:05, Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor) wrote:

> Title: Inbox
> Abstract:
> This specification proposes a mechanism by which clients can find a
> list of ongoing conversations and their state.

"""
Any counter of unread SHOULD be accurate, however client implementors
please note that due to heuristics involved and other issues these
counters can be inaccurate at times.
"""

I am aware that those counters are inherent racy, but could we introduce
a boolean attribute 'accurate', defaulting to false, to signal that the
counter data is accurate (at the time of determining the number).

Implementations could simply ignore the information or change their
visual representation of the number depending on the value of the
'accurate' attribute.

(This reminds me very much of the RSM situation where I'd really like to
have an 'exact' hint.)

- Florian