[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-05-27

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jun 1 08:23:37 UTC 2020

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 09:19, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 31 May 2020 at 23:50, Tedd Sterr <teddsterr at outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> *4c) Advance XEP-0393 (Message Styling)* -
>> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0393.html
>> Dave quite likes this, but is aware that many people don't.
>> Jonas has a multitude of concerns: community recommendations for an
>> explicit opt-in switch; no way to replace this with an updated or new
>> variant, due to a lack of explicit signalling; putting 'markup' in the body
>> is not the way to go in XMPP (more a weak, purity argument); it should
>> mention security concerns about using existing markdown parsers, even if
>> they're not necessarily 100% compatible; lack of an explicit grammar for
>> writing a compliant parser.
>> Dave sees the problem of there being many conflicting demands around
>> styled text in messages, and doesn't think are yet any clean solutions; and
>> this isn't one, either.
>> Despite his concerns, Jonas acknowledges that this stimulated a great
>> deal of improvement in UX by adding rich text to clients; but it was useful
>> as an intermediate step, and we should now find a way to do it properly.
>> Jonas would also prefer if this were on Informational-Active, rather than
>> Standards Track.
>> Daniel notes that this is only standardising something which clients
>> already do in one form or another, and have done for years; it's not really
>> in-body markdown because the formatting isn't removed, it's a suggestion on
>> how to display emphasis that users are giving the text regardless -
>> therefore it doesn't require opt-in/out. Dave knows it doesn't need
>> signalling or negotiation, but thinks it would be nicer if it did - Daniel
>> wouldn't be against adding a hint in the body to indicate use of message
>> styling.
>> Jonas replies to Daniel that, in that case, it doesn't really belong on
>> the Standards Track; quoting XEP-0001, §3.1, "A Standards Track XEP defines
>> … A wire protocol intended to be used as a standard part of XMPP
>> technologies.", Jonas doesn't feel comfortable approving this for Standards
>> Track, and even Informational would be stretching it, but is acceptable as
>> a middle-ground; a non-XSF resource, such as ModernXMPP or similar, would
>> be more fitting for UI things (which this is, according to Daniel's
>> argument.)
>>
>> Jonas: -1 (concerns mentioned above)
>> Zash: -1 (agree with Jonas)
>> Dave: +0
>> Daniel: +1
>> Georg: [pending]
>>
>> The author, Sam, views the use of a "styling hint" as unnecessary bloat;
>> Sam also took care to make sure the grammar was well-defined so a compliant
>> parser can be written; also feels strongly that it belongs on the Standards
>> Track.
>> Zash thinks that overloading the body without negotiation is problematic
>> - Dave queries whether negotiation or hinting would be preferable - Zash
>> thinks either would be better than nothing.
> [...]
to add extra blank lines into the quoted block. Turns out it's *not*
Control+Return.

Anyway...

One more item that I thought got raised in the discussion was
accessibility. I have *no* idea what text-to-speech systems do when faced
with text in this form. I think this specification would probably benefit
from at least a note to that effect.

If we have a hint and (approximately) the text above in the specification,
is this enough to make people... if not actually happy, at least willing to
grudgingly accept the document?

Dave.