[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-05-27

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Tue Jun 2 20:03:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020, at 15:52, Tedd Sterr wrote:
>  First you realise joiners aren't classified as whitespace, so then
>  you have to prepend it instead, but that would need special handling,

You don't need special handling, the styling directives must start after
whitespace, so *this* is strong, but*this* is not bold. The joiner
breaks the whitespace and the styling directive in the same way it would
have broken the directive and the text if it came afterwards and was a
space (which is disallowed). The point is that the joiner fits within
the existing rules, it can already be used as the spec stands right now,
we're just documenting it as something you can do.

> then they're not always rendered correctly because some text renderers
> handle unicode badly (I have had similar issues with these kinds of
> things in the past, specifically ZWSP), then you find …

If this is true it could be a problem, can you point out a system that
renders ZWSP badly that we could test on? If it's a wide spread problem,
that would definitely make this less useful.

—Sam