[Standards] Evaluating gitlab.com as new location for XEP Editor repositories (xeps+registar)

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Tue Jun 16 21:55:55 UTC 2020

My original emails were from a former editors point of view and I don't
have particularly strong feelings except that we should keep the setup
simple and not move the code away from where the contributors are.

However, Jonas asked for contributor points of view. As a contributor I
have had the opposite experience as Dave and have very strong opinions
that GitLab should not be used. Every time I've used GitLab (which is
not infrequently these days, sadly, it has grown in popularity a lot)
it's been a mass of confusing options buried under 10 layers of menus
that are hard to navigate, it had tons of functionality most of which
was very buggy, and it generally felt like a sub-part product to me. As
far as creating a branch and pushing it goes, it's fine, but as soon as
I have to look at anything in their UI I find it absolutely terrible
(then again, I don't think GitHub is great on this front either, but
it's nowhere near as hard to use as GitLab).

It does not feel exciting to me, it feels complicated. Give me something
boring (I'll even take more boring than GitHub if it's available) that
actually works and isn't confusing and slow.

—Sam