[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0184: Message Delivery Receipts

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Mar 4 12:20:04 UTC 2020

On 3 Mar 2020, at 17:45, Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor) <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:

> The XEP Editor would like to Call for Experience with XEP-0184 before
> presenting it to the Council for advancing it to Final status.
>

> During the Call for Experience, please answer the following questions:
>
> 1. What software has XEP-0184 implemented? Please note that the
> protocol must be implemented in at least two separate codebases (at
> least one of which must be free or open-source software) in order to
> advance from Draft to Final.

Swift (GPL)

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in XEP-0184? If so, please describe the problems and, if
> possible, suggested solutions.

No. Kinda. The rules distinguishing between Bare/Full JID and assuming that full JID messages will only go to the addressed JID are somewhat out of place in the modern world and could do with a rethink, methinks. The ’SHOULD NOT’ in particular seems inappropriate.

The ‘must not ack from an archive’ is also somewhat out of place in a world where clients are disabling offline messages in favour of fetching from an archive.

In general, I think 184’s interactions with modern routing/message handling haven’t been considered and implementing 184 as-is might be unfortunate.

/K