[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0398 (User Avatar to vCard-Based Avatars Conversion)

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Mar 4 12:32:53 UTC 2020

On 4 Mar 2020, at 10:00, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:

> I’d like to get some more feedback (from more than 2 people) before I
> rewrite vast parts of the XEP.
> The XEP talks a lot about copy pasting one avatar to the other instead
> of feeding them both from the same data storage.
> To the user both approaches might provide very similar results but
> when it comes to the access model there is an important difference:
> One checks the access model once on publication; the other one
> essentially modifies 0153 in that it imposes the access model of 84 on
> 0153 on every read. While I totally get how and why this is desirable
> I think there is no denying in that it changes how 0153 work without
> telling users who only know about 0153. I find that controversial and
> would like to have more feedback on that.

I think the concerns raised about ACL are valid. If I configure a pubsub node to be private and publish something to it, it likely shouldn’t then appear in another public data store. So at a minimum not doing the propagation from pubsub to vcard if the node has been configured to not be public would seem to make sense to me.

/K